Friday, June 18, 2010

spontaneous trip to the red

On Wednesday Tim and I spontaneously decided to go to the Red River Gorge to do a day and a half of climbing in one of the best climbing areas in the nation.

We arrived at 7pm and climbed a couple routes at Roadside crag. It was the most humid i have EVER felt it, EVER. We were sweating bullets!

Thursday was my 19th birthday. We woke up early and headed out to The Dark Side. We did a couple cool warm ups and headed to the beautiful, overhanging, pocketed wall. Ana Hayes climbed with us and then later on the TBA crew including Lu, Kasia, AJ, Holly, and Sam. I put 2 good burns into a 5.12 called Mama Benson. The crux is at the top and it involves a long move after a couple crimpy moves. I was in a try hard mode that made me feel accomplished even with no send. It's a really cool route and area, and I can't wait to go back!

Oh, and did I mention the weather!? I really couldn't have asked for better weather on my birthday. I was really thankful for this, as it was the best day of weather that the area had in quite a while! Everyone was pretty psyched about it, especially the locals. =)

We headed out in the afternoon to eat lunch and chill at ana's place. I plugged in my vita-mix blender and made some dateorade (just soaked dates and water blended) - which is a great sports drink if you want some good sugary energy punch. Next we headed to the tent and took a nap before some evening climbing.

Later on we hiked to military wall and did one more route to finish off our one and a half day, spontaneous adventure to the red.

Overall, the red IS worth it for one day! And I had an amazing birthday!!!!

1 comment:

Omegachuck said...

Great birthday trip!...and I jsut about missed you by minutes I guess. Nice to see you and Tim there.