Saturday, July 26, 2008

still haven't found the right way

OKAY, so

I've been doing a lot of research on the DIFFERENT TYPES of raw food diets.

Some raw fooders eat mostly greens, some mostly fruits, and some rely mostly on nuts and seeds.



Some do the low-fat thing, some do the high-fat thing, some sprout a bunch of stuff, some dehydrate their food....... there are just so many ways!!!!

I've been trying to find the best for me.

and I thought I had it a week ago when I was talking about my increase of greens ---


but this is whats happening:



Since I discovered how much energy greens give me, I started making green leafy vegetables the main part of my diet. I started drinking over 32 ounces of green juice a day and eating the biggest green smoothies you'd ever see, JAM backed with spinach.

But what I now realize is that when I increase my greens, I cut down on my fruit, and I lose energy in THAT sense --- fruit has always been the number one thing to give me energy.



Today I was feeling kind of weak and tired. Perhaps it was a build-up of almost-sleepless nights? In any case, I did the high greens thing and I just felt lousy.

I also wasn't hungry AT ALL because my body was loving on the nutrients so much that it didnt let me know i needed some fruit.


So I really needed to have a perk-up, so even though I wasn't hungry, I went to the kitchen and chopped up half a box of strawberries into really small pieces in a bowl. Then I took 2 really ripe bananas and chopped them with it. I ate it slowly, and OMG I HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY! It was the perfect pick-me-up.


As great as greens make me feel, I CAN'T FORGET about my high fruit intake.


I have eaten way too many nuts in the past 2 weeks and I'm SICK OF IT. I gained about 3 pounds. And now I know why! I was eating too many nuts (obviously) and greens and it wasn't making me hungry enough to eat fruit!

now I need to increase my fruit, lower my nuts (and still eat them in MODERATION like I was a few weeks ago) and keep my greens where they are at !!!!



Someday I will find my personal best way to eat the raw food diet.

13 comments:

Omegachuck said...

Green Ash, soon to be the Incredible Hulk-ash, slightly tinted green I believe. Pretty soon we won't be able to see you when out in the woods.

Daniel Brayack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel Brayack said...

I'm sure you'll figure it out....are you basing it just on energy or on required nutrients and so forth?

calaismarie said...

ash i'm so glad you're paying attention to the way your body is reacting to different foods. listening to your body is one of the most important life lessons. i have so much to learn from you!

calaismarie said...

ash, do you use a food processor or a blender to make your goodies?

AND

can you give me a few sites for raw foods recipes?

Autumn said...

I love the fuel that fruit gives me too.

Kristen's Raw said...

I always tell people, "Listen to your own body."

Good for you!

Sarah said...

OMG HAPPY TWO MONTHS TO UUUUUUUUS. Have you started eating aloe yet dude? Seriously, I'm a glowbug. I heart being your raw mama, lol!

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

Maybe there isn't really a "best" way for any of us. Maybe our tastes and our needs change over time, and we have to keep adjusting our diets accordingly. I know that each time I have thought I had it figured out (and I started preaching my latest wonder diet to everybody who would listen), something happened to make me reconsider and start over.

Kinda keeps you humble.

RawCaribeña said...

Read Dr. Doug Graham's 80/10/10 diet. I think you'll find the answers you are looking for.

Joanna RawTn said...

Hi! I saw your profile on GITMR. I am near Nashville (less than an hour)
As far as what to eat, Jim has it on the money. Listen to your body, and your 'perfect' diet will change probably week to week! Good job on all that you're doing!
Joanna

HiHoRosie said...

Yeah, I'm sure you'll figure out a good balance for you. I like my fruit any time but esp in the a.m. to get me going.

holiday at sea said...

i know what you mean, it can be kind of confusing, huh?
i've been doing 80/10/10 and for an athlete i think it's awesome. no pills, "superfoods" or other crap to buy. just fruit, veg and greens to give you energy to compete! i like it also because dr. doug graham is an athlete himself, and he is ripped! you should check out his site www.foodnsport.com is awesome, and i would totally, TOTALLY recommend his book the 80/10/10 diet.